Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The surgery

So there have been a couple of changes in the plans regarding Mom's surgery and recovery period.  She will still be having the surgery this coming Friday morning at about 7:30 am.  However she will be admitted to the hospital for 3 days following the surgery in order to get help from the staff, as opposed to coming back to our house the same day.  I have been very uneasy about the thought of Mom coming back here for her recovery period post-surgery, simply because she has had a hard time keeping weight off of her foot in the past week that she has been here.  The Dr. was really insistant that after the surgery she CANNOT put ANY weight on her foot whatsoever or the surgery will have been a waste of time.  I don't feel like I would be able to help her as much as she needs and would feel really bad if she ended up losing her leg/foot because I wasn't capable of doing what needed to be done.  I talked to the surgeon and he has arranged for her to be transported and admitted back into the Citadel for recovery, in hopes that they will be able to help her stay off of her foot and let it heal properly from the surgery! He didn't specify a time frame for how long she will/should be there, so I am sure we will just have to see how things go!  I have felt really guilty about sending her back there, but I honestly think it is for the best and hope that she knows it is not because I don't want her here!  It has been great being able to have her here in our home, where we can do what we can to help her out! Hopefully this will all be over soon and she can get back to her life!

0 comments: